Wednesday, September 14, 2005

WACKY MUSEUMS...
Anna writes...
But tell me Jim, what are some of the wackiest museums in America? Do you know the first museum ever made? Is there a Museum museum?


Oh, how I love a wacky museum or roadside attraction! However, no, I know of no Museum museum nor do I know of the first museum.

What I do know is, if you keep your eyes out, you will find many interesting places in this world. Some roadside attractions are simple tourist traps, such as Ozarkland, South of the Border, and The Big Texan Steak Ranch. These are places full of fun and often silly things. They are great to go to but you will find many other tourists there doing the same thing.

Other roadside attractions or wacky museums are collections of the things that people have an interest in. Several of the more unusual museums I have been to are the Mustard Museum, and the Grain Elevator and Agriculture Museum. These may sound very silly, but often times, you find people have passions for many things. They study there history, how it is made, how it has changed over the years and many other aspects. Having many esoteric interests myself, I can often appreciate these museums, even if I don't share their passion. Plus, they make good stories, I mean, just how many people can say they were at the Mustard Museum?!

Here are just a few sources of some of the many wacky museums and roadside attractions:

U.S. Route 40
Roadside America
Weird New Jersey
Weird U.S.
Offbeat Museums : A Guided Tour of America's Weirdest and Wackiest Museums
New Roadside America : The Modern Traveler's Guide to the Wild and Wonderful World of America's Tourist

And there is so much more. Have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home