Friday, September 09, 2005

TYING POPPERS...

So tell me Jim, I know you tie your own flies. Do you think you could show me how to tie my own hard bodied poppers?


Of course, just follow these simple instructions...


Step 1. Using quickset epoxy, glue the head to the hook.

Step 2. When the epoxy is dry, paint the head with an acrylic paint. If desired, you can take an emery board to the head to file off the mold ring or any other deficiencies. You will want to use at least 2 coats, maybe more depending on the paint and the color. If using cork heads, you may want to put a coat of white on before applying light colored paints.


Step 3. Paint on the whites of the eyes. Start by putting a drop or two of white paint on a piece of paper. Using the end of a dowel dip one end into the paint being careful not to get too much paint on the dowel. If there is any doubt, touch an unpainted part of the paper to get the excess paint off. Then touch the popper on each side of the head to apply the paint.


Step 4. Add the pupils. Using the same technique for step 3, apply a small black dot in the middle of the whites of the eyes. The whites of the eye may be other colors. A red “white” is not uncommon.


Step 5. This is optional, but I always do it. Put a clear coat on the head. I use clear acrylic paint but that is very hard to come by. I’ve also used epoxy. Clear fingernail polish may work, just be careful that the clear coat is compatible with the paint. Do one and let it dry, if it looks alright you know it is compatible.


Step 6.
Tie on the tailing material. You can’t go wrong here. I usually tie on grizzly hackle feathers (4-6) so they splay out from the hook. Marabou , live rubber, and bucktail are also common.


Step 7. I like to tie on a hackle collar, but again that is optional.


Step 8. Tie off the thread with a whip finish behind the head. Again, there are no rules about poppers, some people tie on a weedguard, others will drill a hole in the head and put in live rubber legs. My opinion is these two extras are not worth the effort.




Now go throw the fly in front of a hungry smallmouth and reel him in.

2 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tell me Jim, where is the largest cross in the western hemisphere?

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is potentially the greatest website ever created. So tell me Jim, what are the most important aspects of a fly that make it delectably alluring to fishies? In other words: So tell me Jim, could you describe the theoretically perfect fly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home