Wednesday, April 19, 2006

MUSCLE CARS FROM MOVIES

Juan Franela writes:

Okay, I've got a better question: What are the cars in the original version of the film Mad Max, both the car that Max is given by the police chief and the cars labeled "Interceptor" (seen in the film's opening sequence)?

Also, I've always heard that the car in the film Phantasm is a rare bird. What is it and how many of them are out there?


To explain what Juan means by a better question... this past weekend, I finally had a chance to meet Juan in person. He used the opportunity for an instant "Ask Jim". He asked me what a "Hemi" is. I told him that was an easy one (and for anyone who would like a complete explanation be sure to see one of my early posts at "FLATHEADS TO HEMIS" He also asked me the key to a good marriage.

He later explains... ""Better" as in "better than the one I asked at Collinsfest", not better than any question about Mr. Dimaggio. Hope there was no confusion."


Well Juan, if the readers are confused (as many of them are) it has nothing to do with your question and everything to do with what kind of person reads "Ask Jim" in the first place.

As far as the Mad Max cars, I personally have never seen the movie but apparently they had quite a line up of cars. From what I can find, they made extensive use of Ford XB Falcon Coupes. These were production cars sold in Australia from December 1973 until August 1976. Now I was not familiar with this car. For we Americans who are familiar with the Ford Falcon, it would seem an unlikely car to use in a movie known for its muscle cars; however the Mustang was originally built on a Falcon platform. I am guessing that in Australia, they kept the Falcon name for the new muscle car while in America the Falcon moniker remained on the economy car. The car in the film had a standard 351 cubic inch V8 motor. You can see the lines are reminiscent of the Mustang.

The stolen interceptor driven by the Nightrider in the opening scenes is another production vehicle; it is a "HQ Holden Monaro", which was sold in Australia in the early 70's with a variety of motors including large capacity V8's. Again, I was unfamiliar with that car. Holden is an Australian division of General Motors and the HQ Monaro was a model built from 1972 to 1974.

The Phantasm movies featured a Plymouth Barracuda. The first film used a 440-six pack 'Cuda while the second used a Hemi 'Cuda. Okay, so I really don't know anything about muscle cars but I do know the 440 had Edelbrock hi-rise aluminum intakes cast for triple-deuce carburetion, Holley's best centerhung-float 2300 deuces, totaling 1,200 cfm. and the carbs were each equidistant from their respective ports, so no cylinders were in danger of going lean. This permitted center-carb jetting, which, if driven sanely (but who could?), might even have delivered passable gas mileage.

Okay... so I didn't know that either, nor do I have more than a rudimentary understanding what that means other than it was a big engine with a big (and complicated) carburetor. And the Hemi 'Cuda? Well... that was a Barracuda with the venerable Hemi engine. The original, real Hemi, not today's pent roof Hemi like motor.

I couldn't begin to tell you if those cars were somehow special or how many were made. I can tell you that all muscle cars, especially the 'Cuda, is very collectable. People go ga-ga for these things. If you ever scan the ads for classic cars, those muscle cars of the 70's carry a premium price.

So, Juan... You go from an easy question to answer to a tough question to answer. If, unlike myself, you happen to be a big muscle car fan and can enlighten us all on these vehicles, please feel free to share. It was a pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife and never forget the key to a happy marriage; Do what your told (preferably before she has to tell you to)!

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger christina said...

on the topic of cars, here's a question i've been curious about. I broke a control arm on the front driver's side or my car (a 96 audi A4, quattro). What is that? People mention the bearings, and make very sad noises when I say it's an all wheel drive. What does that have to do with anything?

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Phil said...

While I must admit to being fascinated by these cars--especially the Falcon's from Mad Max, I don't much about them (didn't even know they were Falcon's until I read this blog entry). I just know that as an impressionable teenager I thought Mad Max was the shit. Sadly, Mel Gibson has evolved into a semi-idiot. But I wasn't really into the Max character. I like Bubba Zanetti and the way he'd fret over Johnny the Boy to Toecutter. Good stuff.

Thanks for tracking down the info. I don't know diddly about cars (at least modifying them--had a '78 Dodge Adventurer for a while that I "liked" working on).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home