Friday, January 13, 2006

THE MCFLURRY SPOON MYSTERY



For those of you who haven't followed the comments, here is an Ask Jim that was asked and then later answered by the man who asked it...

Eric wrote...
"McDonalds has the weirdest spoons I've ever noticed. I order a 'McFlurry' a lot and end up with the same type of strange spoon. Why is it shaped like that? I can't seem to find a logical reason by myself, so I'm relying on you to help me out. Thanx"


Then Anna wrote...
"I second Eric's question. Those spoons baffle me.
For an interesting fact on old McDonalds spoons, go here."


Having never had a McFlurry and following Anna's lead, I came to the erroneous conclusion that the spoon in question had to do with being used for drug paraphernalia. Wrong spoon.

Then when Anna was home, she helped my research by bringing home a McFlurry and spoon for me to inspect. Eric also helped me by bringing me a McFlurry spoon. It was as puzzling to me as to anyone. Finally, I received the following comments...

Eric wrote...
"The reason for the McDonalds spoons has been revealed!!! The spoons are hollow and have a hook on the end of it so it can be attached to the mixer. That way the spoon can act as the spinner thing and then it can be given to the person that ordered it. It saves a lot more time and energy because they don't have to clean the mixer after every use."


And Alan wrote...
"The spoon is a specially designed removable agitator for the McFlurry machine.The machine is actually a Vita-Mix machine known as Mix'n Machine."


Then Anna wrote....
"WOWZAHS! Eric just enlightened my life. I had lost hope for the meaning of the McDonald's spoon design. How did you figure that out, Eric?"

To which Eric replied...
"I asked"


This just shows that Ask Jim can be a group research project. I bet many of those who are in college wish there were more group research projects because they are so enjoyable and fulfilling. Don't you agree?

10 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jim, have you ever had a wheel fall off of your car/bus while you were driving it?

If this hilarious scenario happens to me, what should I do?

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a question about the McFlurry spoons... I have this weird thing about saving plastic spoons and other "plastic-ware" from takeout foodstops because I'd rather wash them than regular "silverware." But, invariably, when I get one of these oddball mcflurry spoons, someone always TOSSES them if they're the one doing the dishes. I've lost countless sporks this way as well, but I'm ok with that because that collection grows every time I go back to Taco Bell or KFC.

How can one find a case of these oddball plastic spoons? I've searched ebay, and other places, to no avail.

Thanks...

Zach
(pizzaguy4hire@yahoo.com)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Raleigh Real Estate Agent said...

i just got back from mcdonalds, and the wife and i were studying this spoon for the exact same reason. We couldn't figure any logical explanation, until I read this post.

Thanks for solving the mystery, it makes total sense now.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earl was glad to know the mystery as well. He was so worried about the design he was worrying the crap out of me! Thanks Jim for the post!

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My life is now complete, I can did a happy man... The answer to one of life's great questions has been answered! MaccyD spoons! Thanks jim!

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously it had me baffled. Thank you for unraveling the mystery! I tried to use logic to no avail! I was like, is it supposed to be a "spraw" (spoon/straw)? It has holes in it and is hollow but had that pointy hook on it that would make that concept hard to manage.

Really glad to know, I love to get to the bottom of things & know answers to trivial little nonsense. Thanks again!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband has been asking this question about the stupid McFlurry spoon for as long as I can remember. Thank you for giving me the answer. Now I don't have to listen to him ask every time he eats a McFlurry "I wonder what's up with this spoon?"

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love living in the internet/google era where tireless people like you help curious-but-lazy people like me to find the answer to the misteries of the universe. :) Thank you so much!

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The spoon is like it is, not only to snap onto the shaft, it provides strength against "whirl" when mixing (the force that would drive the spoon so far off center it would snap when rotated). Also the mold to make the spoon is much easier to make as the spoon is made in an "open/shut" mold with little to no action.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've figured the real use of the maccas spoon! The clip looking thing is for nothing at all but the hollow inside is so you can scoop up your meth out of the bag with ease, now the actual part you are meant to eat off is for a cloth the rap around and the hole in the spoon is so you can pin part of the cloth in so it doesn't fall off, the cloth is used for cleaning the bulb of your cracks pipe during and after use, so the only conclusion I've come to is that the inventor of the mcflurry spoon is a crack addict

 

Post a Comment

<< Home