Tuesday, December 13, 2005

HERBIVORES TO OMNIVORES

Eric writes...

So Jim, I'm not even sure that humanity knows the answer to this question but here it goes: How did primates; namely chimpanzees, us and our ancestral line, go from "herbivores" to "omnivores"? Yes, the herbivorous primates today DO in fact rely on animals as food, such as insects, and that they can't survive to procreate with out them. But considering that they have evolved to rely mainly on plants, how could a species derive an omnivorous anatomy from an herbivores one?


Well Eric, I do think you are correct in the assumption that humanity may not know the answer to this. One thing we do know is you have stumped Jim. I did some research and got nowhere. So, rather than just say "I don't know" or give you some answer based in fact or good science, let me just give you some opinions. You know, stuff that I just pull out of my hat (or some orifice).


The first thing to remember is evolution is a theory and not a fact. That statement should not be interpreted as an endorsement for creationism. Creationism is also a theory. One built on bad science, where as, evolution is a theory built on good science, however it is just that, a theory. As any theory in the scientific community, there are various opinions in different scientific camps. To say "X" is the way an animal could go from one state to another is impossible to answer. I can't even find any information that humans were ever herbivorous. I see a lot of discussion as to whether humans are, today, herbivores or omnivores. We know by practice, we are omnivores, but some come to the conclusion, strictly by anatomy, that we have a lot more in common with herbivores than omnivores. (The problem with most of those sources though, is that they were advocating vegetarianism. Their "science" may be suspect.) If we can't answer that question now, I see no way to conclude what our ancestors did.

The second thing to remember is the basis of evolution is survival of the fittest. That doesn't have to mean the strongest, but those plants and animals that can adapt best to their surroundings. No species sets out to become anything. It's characteristics are reactive to their environment. If human ancestors were in fact herbivores and we evolved into omnivores, according to the theory of evolution, there was a point in our past that favored omnivores, therefore, those are the ones who survived to pass down their genes.

The third, and most important thing to remember is I may have totally misunderstood the question so I could have gone down the wrong, dead end road when I tried to find information. So, if that sounds like the most plausible point of this three point answer, feel free to give me a nudge down the correct road, and I'll see what I can dig up.

2 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Anna Shambleceno said...

I second Eric's question. Those spoons baffle me.

For an interesting fact on old McDonald's spoons, go here.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Ask Jim... said...

Well Eric, I never go to McDonalds so I know nothing about their spoons, but I do know Annie is onto something. Apparently, their old spoons became standard equipment in drug paraphenalia so McDonalds stopped making those.

Could it be that the spoons of question are so shaped so as to be unusable for whatever the drug trafficers were using them for?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home