Friday, October 14, 2005

ONE HARD QUESTION - ONE EASY QUESTION

Tommy writes...

Jim, much like yourself and Adam, I am quite the fan of baseball. I spent the majority of my life in Atlanta, Ga, and while there became a fan of the Atlanta Braves. For years, 14 to be exact, the Braves have continued to drive up the hopes of thousands of fans, and continuously let them come crashing down in early or mid October. Now here is my question for you; Despite having a top notch coaching staff, consistently ranking in the top 12 in payroll, as well as having above average pitching year in and year out why, aside from 1995, can't the Braves win a World Series?


Sorry Tommy, you have stumped Ask Jim. If I could answer that question, I'd have Bobby Cox's job. That is one of those great mysteries of the universe. Everyone wants to know the answer to that question. Cox did another incredible job this year with his new, young team. He should be in line with LaRussa again for manager of the year. I'm not sure what would be more maddening, winning the division and loosing in the post season, or not winning the division 14 years in a row.

Seeing you stumped Jim, Jim gets to ask you a question... Why doesn't Atlanta ever sell out for the first round of playoffs?

Bri & Leah writes...
Fishinating stuff, Jim. Since I am a vegetarian, I think if ever went fishing again I would be inclined to throw the fish back. However, Leah loves seafood and would enjoy keeping hers.

So tell me, Jim. What do you do with your fish once you catch them? How do you decide what to keep, and what to return?


That is an easy one. Most of the time I let them go. One way to insure that fishing remains good is to practice "catch and release" fishing. I'm simply there to harass god's little creatures and maybe teach them a little lesson. (such as... "Don't eat that in the future because the next guy may not be so kind".) Not only does that help keep the fish population in better condition, it eliminates the need carry them and keep them cold and fresh. Less cumbersome and more enjoyment.

I only keep fish twice a year. On father's day, we go fishing at a place where they stock trout every day for the sole purpose of harvesting. We catch enough for a dinner that evening. The other time I keep fish is at our annual boundary waters fishing trip in the summer. The fish are quite abundant and the fishing pressure is quite light. We try to catch enough fish for one meal a day. There is little concern of hurting the overall fish population with our harvest.

2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Jim, for superstition's sake I'm going to lay off the baseball questions for now.

So tell me the deal with this, Jim. If you look at the different milestones going back down the communication technology curve, you'll see computers, then TV, then radio, then telephones, telegrams, and finally singing telegrams. All of these advances (plus light bulbs, home appliances, and heavy metal music) are made possible by electricity.

What IS electricity? The flow of charged particles? Is that right? Are there different types of electricity? How and when did we realize electricity exits, and how and when did we learn how to use it?

Now Jim, I know that's a lot to ask of a busy man like yourself. Perhaps you could answer in several different posts rather than one uber-post.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My silly son, you should have asked the science teacher that question; everyone knows that electricity is magic (that's what I teach the McKinley students anyway.) Isn't that right, Jim?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home